15 May 2009

Ok so I have never really publicly written any of my thoughts most of them go into my journal and sit until i go back to them. I guess I just felt like it would be good to get some thoughts out and maybe if people actually read them get some feedback. Typical blogging I suppose. Anyways if you feel so inclined to read and comment that would be really great. I'll probably try and include a photo or two that I have recently made. Here is entry one.


One.



Recently I was in Chicago and I took the photo above. At the time I was shooting for a project I am working on about American Poverty. When I got back and was working on edits for the photo I realized something about the man. I realized how alike he and I were.

I realized for the past two months I have had the same look on my face as this man does. The expression of asking myself "How did I get here? Where did I go wrong?". It's interesting how I can live in a house and know tomorrow when I wake up I'll have something to eat but feel the same as this man probably does. Sometimes hopeless other times regretful and shameful. Most of all things that brings he and I together is the feeling of being alone. I may not be standing on a street corner trying to survive but something inside of me feels like I am not far from it.

I am blessed that is for sure. In no way is my current situation comparable to this mans. I have a feeling though if we sat down our conversation would be lengthy and quite healing. This may not make sense but it does to me. This season of life is confusing and very arduous, I know tough; that I serve a God who is the opposite, who is set and gives me hope. It's remembering that daily that is challenging.


TB

3 comments:

cody said...

very nice...

i definitely know the feeling.

i living in a part of town where those guys with signs look a lot like me. some dirty punk kid with a guitar.

check out my blog sometime.

it's mostly poetry.

Unknown said...

dude. i've been thinking about something kind of similar lately. i think we can have something in common with anyone. like it always seems that once you get to know someone you have something in common and the more you get to know them sometimes, the more things you have in common. anyways stopped by really to say i'm praying for you.

Thomas said...

That's good insight Tyler. Sometimes I get so caught up in trying to do things right or do the right things that I get overwhelmed about it. Recently comforting thought came to mind, "Take joy in knowing that God is in control." It helped me stop holding on so tightly.

I'd really be interested to hear more about your project and talk about this topic some more sometime.